Board of Education Names Search Committee for Next Superintendent of Hartford Public Schools
HARTFORD, CONN. (OCTOBER 13, 2016) – Today, Board of Education Chairman Richard F. Wareing announced the members of a new search committee for the next Superintendent of Hartford Public Schools.
The committee will be reviewing and recommending candidates to the Board of Education over the next several months. Chairman Wareing and consultant John Motley will be co-chairing the search committee.
“I want to thank Mr. Motley and the other members of the search committee for agreeing to serve in this important role. Our kids are our most important asset and they need and deserve a great superintendent to take our schools to the next level. I’m confident this committee will make the best recommendation to the board,” said Wareing.
Current Superintendent of Schools Beth Schiavino-Narvaez recently announced her plans to step down after two years, accepting a position as the Chief of Instructional Leadership Development for Schools for the U.S. Department of Defense. Superintendent Schiavino-Narvaez will remain in place until December 8, 2016.
“I’m pleased to have been asked by Board of Education Chairman Wareing to serve as co- chair of the superintendent search committee,” said Motley. “No decision the Board of Education will have to make is more important than who will lead the schools during this critical time. We will begin our work shortly and will work diligently until we find the right candidate.”
“This is an extremely important moment for the Hartford Public Schools, and the next superintendent will have the opportunity and responsibility to shape the future of our school system for many years to come,” said Mayor Luke Bronin. “My hope is that the search committee will be able to work quickly to identify a Superintendent who has a true commitment to Hartford, and who is willing to be a strong, creative and energetic leader. Serving on the selection committee will be a significant time commitment for each of the members, and I appreciate their willingness to serve.”
The committee includes the following members:
- John Motley (Co-Chair), Consultant
- Richard F. Wareing (Co-Chair), Chairman of the Hartford Board of Education
- Julio Flores, Parent, Hartford Board of Education Member
- Tiffany Glanville, Parent, Hartford Board of Education Member
- Joshua Hall, Teacher, Vice-President of the Hartford Federation of Teachers
- Jose A. Colon, Hartford Public Schools Principal
- Hyacinth Yennie, Hartford Resident, Chair of the Maple Avenue Revitalization Group
- Juan Hernandez, Director of Diversity and Inclusion for the University of New Haven, and former Hartford City Council Aide
- Natalie Langlaise, Parent Advocate at Martin Luther King Jr. School
- Hernan LaFontaine, Former Hartford Superintendent of Schools, and former City Council President
- Michael Brescia, Retired Teacher, Hartford Board of Education Member