Burr School, Betances STEM Magnet School, and Rawson STEAM School Students Visit with “Time Machine” Physicist, Dr. Ronald Mallett
7th and 8th grade students from Burr School, Betances STEM Magnet School, and Rawson STEAM School visited Real Arts Ways on February 27th, 2017 to view the film, “The Time Machine” and to meet and speak with Dr. Ronald Mallett, a physicist featured in the film and physics professor at University of Connecticut at Storrs.
A few questions the students asked of the physicist were:
· What made you want to study Time Travel?
Answer: Dr. Mallett’s father died at 33 years of age, and Dr. Mallett dreamed of going back in time to visit his father.
· If you went back in the past to see your father and prevent him from dying, do you think that you would have still become a physicist?
The students were very interested in his theory of time travel, black holes and how studying physics helped him achieve his dream.
He told the students there are three things they need to keep in mind:
1. Have a dream
2. Develop a strategy to accomplish your dream
3. Learn/get the education to accomplish your dream
4. Don’t let anyone tell you, “You can’t make a living doing that!”