Hartford Living

The Hartford Public Schools is pleased to offer relocation incentives for City of Hartford employees who live in Hartford, including homeownership incentives for Hartford teachers who reside in the city.  To learn more about Hartford living and what residencies are available to rent or buy, please visit:




Frequently Asked Questions

What career opportunities are available? How do I apply?

All of HPS’s job openings are listed on-line. View the positions that are currently available for hire, along with qualifications and requirements.

HPS accepts all applications via our on-line employment application system, Applitrack, only. To use Applitrack, you will begin by creating a user account with a unique Login ID and password. You will use this information to access your application after it has been submitted.

When should I report back to work for the upcoming school year?

Each May, the Employee Work Year Quick Reference is posted on the District’s website. This document is meant to represent a default work schedule and a quick reference for supervisors regarding employee work years. This document does not demand specific schedules for employees or take away any discretion the supervisor has under the relevant collective bargaining agreement.

How do I renew my certification? What form do I need where do I send it?

All educators/certified personnel in the Hartford Public Schools must be licensed by the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE). To determine which form(s), supporting materials, and fees are required to renew your certification, please visit the CSDE’s website: http://www.ct.gov/sde/cert . All forms requiring the Superintendent’s or designee’s signature should be sent to Janet Serrano in the Office of Talent Management (serrj001@hartfordschools.org or 860-695-8702). Please allow three to five business days for the form(s) to be completed and signed.

What is the process for tuition reimbursement?

HPS encourages the professional improvement of its employees and allows for partial tuition reimbursement for those who qualify. Employees who have completed one year of satisfactory service in the Hartford Public Schools may be eligible and should review their collective bargaining unit agreement for complete details. Full-time, non-bargaining employees who have completed one year of satisfactory service are eligible for tuition reimbursement of up to $300 per credit, up to a maximum of six (6) credits per fiscal year.

Courses shall be eligible for reimbursement only during the school year in which the employee took the course(s). Employees must submit any course reimbursement within three (3) months of receipt of the final grade, or the claim for reimbursement shall be denied.

All employees must complete and sign the attached Course Reimbursement Form when requesting tuition reimbursement, along with the following:

  • Transcript(s), grade report, or CEU certificate (does not have to be official transcript)
  • Fee receipt from university/provider – must indicate tuition separate from fees
  • Proof of payment – may be fee receipt stamped “paid” and have a zero balance due, both sides of cancelled check, or credit card statement

Tuition reimbursement is processed monthly. Upon submittal of all required documents, you should receive your reimbursement within 30 days.

Any questions should be directed to Janet Assard atassaj001@hartfordschools.org or (860) 695-8687.

What is required for a teacher upgrade?

All upgrades of teacher salary based upon additional educational attainment shall be effective within sixty (60) calendar days of receipt of all necessary paperwork, including:

  • Completion of the Teacher Salary Upgrade Form
  • Official transcript from an accredited university showing the conferral of the degree for a Masters or Ph.D. (for degree lane) or the credit for new graduate credits since the last upgrade (for a non-degree lane).

All requests for upgrade should be submitted to Natasha Durrant, Director of Staffing in the Office of Talent Management (ndurrant@hartfordschools.org or 860-695-8618).

Who should I contact to schedule an appointment to view my personnel file?

All current and past employees may contact Hannah Mele-Andrews (meleh001@hartfordschools.org or 860-695-8688) to schedule an appointment to view your own personnel file.

Who should I contact with questions regarding my pension?

If you are a certified staff person contributing to the State of Connecticut Teachers’ Retirement Board (TRB), you should contact them directly at 1-800-504-1102 or visit their website atwww.ct.gov/trb.

How do I add a newborn child, a dependent, or spouse to my health insurance plan?

An employee must enroll a newborn child, dependent, or spouse within thirty-one (31) days of a qualifying event, i.e., birth of child, marriage, loss of dependent’s insurance, adoption, etc. or wait until the next open enrollment period begins (July 1). If the new enrollee is not added within 31 days, claims relating to medical treatment of the new enrollee may be denied. In addition, a waiting period may be applied if added at a later time.

A new enrollee may be added by completing the Anthem Enrollment and Membership Change Form (attached) and sending the form to:

  • Jessica Richardson
    Office of Talent Management
    Hartford Public Schools
    960 Main Street, 9th Floor
    Hartford, CT 06103

Should you have questions regarding insurance benefits, please contact Jessica Richardson at jessica.richardson@hartfordschools.org or (860) 695-8607.