Hartford Public Schools offers standards-based grading for a comprehensive system of curriculum, instruction, and assessment. The district is in Phase I of this transition process with the following schools engaged in standards-based grading:
- Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, and grades 1-2 in all schools.
- *Thirteen schools in grades 3-5.
- **Six schools in grades 6-8.
Standards-based grading means that grades represent student progress toward meeting descriptive standards, rather than an average of test and assignment scores. Scoring criteria with performance descriptors are used to determine a student’s progress toward mastery of the assessed standard. Work habits are assessed separately from academic content.
- Students have clear learning expectations.
- Students are assessed on their own level of progress.
- Students are increasingly held accountable for monitoring their progress.
- Students are held to consistent standards.
- Students experience consistent grading practices across the district.
- Students gain specific understanding of academic strengths & weaknesses.
Below are parent guides for grade ranges and sample report cards for the content in each grade level. Actual content areas included in the report card depend on the school schedule.
|Kindergarten – Grade 2
|Grade 3 – Grade 5
|Grade 6 – Grade 8
|REPORT CARD SAMPLE||REPORT CARD SAMPLE||REPORT CARD SAMPLE||REPORT CARD SAMPLE|
|*Schools for Grades 3-5||**Schools for Grades 6-8|