January 27th, 2017: Very soon in your student’s backpack, you will find an information sheet about our 2016-2017 School Climate and Culture Survey. That information sheet also includes an Opt-out form should parents/guardians want to opt their child out of taking the survey.
Beginning February 1st until February 28th, 2017 every family in every Hartford Public School will receive a survey for each child they have enrolled at Hartford Public Schools, and have the opportunity to provide opinions about their child’s school. The survey will let you share your opinions about school safety, your connectedness to the school community, school climate, bullying, and other areas.
Your survey answers are anonymous, and your honest opinions are highly valued; they help us support our students, families, and staff in productive and strategic ways.
Please be on the look-out for your survey in your child’s backpack. When you receive it, please complete it, return it to its manila envelope, and return it to your child’s classroom teacher via the child, or drop it off to the classroom, or the school’s main office. You can also mail it back to the school.
Thank you for your support. Your voice matters.
Information for Families about the 2016-2017 Climate and Connectedness Survey
Survey Window: February 1, 2017 through February 28, 2017
- Parents and families will receive paper surveys via their students’ backpacks.
- Parents/guardians should complete one survey for for each child in your family that attends a Hartford Public School.
- Completed surveys should be returned to your student’s school via student backpacks, or by dropping it off, or mailing it.
- Surveys are available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Serbo-Croatian, and Karen
- You may opt your child out of the survey via phone call to the school and/or returning the opt-out portion of the parent/guardian letter.
Please use the links below to access examples of the current Climate Survey.
If you have any questions, please contact Mario Florez, Director of School Climate and Culture at 860-695-8759 or at
INSTRUCTIONS FOR HARTFORD PUBLIC SCHOOLS STAFF ABOUT ADMINISTERING THE SURVEY
Student Surveys (Grades 3-4, Grades 5-7, Grades 5-12 ONLY):
- You will receive a student survey link for your respective school.
- You will receive a list of codes from your school administration corresponding to your class roster. For example, if you have 23 students you will receive 23 codes.
- The codes are all unique (no 2 are alike), but not student specific as the surveys are anonymous.
- You will give each student a code from your list in order to access the survey.
- Create a schedule for when your students will take the survey. The surveys are 100% electronic. Administration may have a plan for the use of a computer lab for survey administration or in individual classrooms if computers are available. Please follow your school’s protocol for survey administration.
- Inform students prior to taking the surveys that their responses are completely anonymous, and ask them to be as honest as possible, reminding them that the answers will not be tied to their names.
- Please remind students that they can reach out to their teacher or another adult in the building to talk about any questions from the survey. This is highly important as some of the questions may arouse emotions in our students that may cause them to ask for help for themselves, or a peer. We want to ensure that we communicate how staff can support them in their concerns.
Parent/Guardian Surveys (PK-12):
- Your school administration will provide you with copies of the Parent/Guardian Survey for each student in your classroom. Surveys are available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Serbo-Croatian, and Karen.
- Each student in your classroom will receive one Parent/Guardian Survey and an envelope.
- You will be provided with a parent letter from Hartford Public Schools explaining the purpose of the survey.
- Place the survey and parent letter in the envelope and send it home with every student.
- Surveys are anonymous so please do not write the student’s name on the survey.
- Create a method to track students who return surveys so you can follow up with students who don’t return a survey.
- Each parent/guardian survey code is unique so copies of surveys are not to be made and distributed.
- If you need additional surveys please reach out to your school administration or designated staff member.
- Parents will be able to opt their child out of the survey via phone call to the school and/or returning the opt-out portion of the parent/guardian letter.
Staff Surveys (ALL STAFF):
- All school-based staff members will receive a staff survey link for your respective school via their hartfordschools.org e-mail address.
- Inform staff prior to taking the surveys that their responses are completely anonymous, and ask them to be as honest as possible, reminding them that the answers will not be tied to their names, positions or schools.
- Staff members who work at multiple locations (0.5 at 2 different schools) should fill out a survey for each location.