|Sonia Dinnall||Executive Director of College & Career Readinessemail@example.com||860-695-8527|
|Tamara Mitchell||District Business Partnership Coordinator||MITCT001@hartfordschools.org||860-695-8888|
|Lauren Martin||Transition Counselor Specialist||Lauren.Martin@hartfordschools.org||860-695-8707|
|Jennifer P. Brown||Transition Counselor Specialist||Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org||860-695-8889|
|Jennifer Simmons||Transition Counselor Specialist||Jennifer.Simmons@hartfordschools.org||860-695-8887|
|Helene Morneau||Transition Counselor Specialist||Helene.Morneau@hartfordschools.org||860-695-8646|
When students are in our classrooms and the bell rings, that is our complete focus. But we also consider it our duty to prepare them for what awaits them as adults. A college diploma is a tremendous advantage in today’s job market. It is our mission to inspire and prepare ALL students to create their own success in and beyond school.
That is why our Strategic Operating Plan is structured with Equity Indicators to prepare every student for life during and after his or her time in Hartford Public Schools.
- 100% College Acceptance
- 90% Graduation Rate
- 100% Access to College and Career Readiness Opportunities
- Pass Algebra 1 with a “C” or Better by the end of 9th Grade
- Each Student has to have a Success Plan and a Connection to a Caring
- Good Attendance Habits
- Eliminate Suspension through Restorative Justice
- 3rd Grade Reading Proficiency
Several of these Equity Indicators lead to the overarching goal of College and Career Success!
College Readiness Initiatives that are already underway include:
- Offering the PSAT, free of charge, to all Sophomores and Juniors during the school day
- Offering the SAT, free of charge, to all Juniors during the school day
- Increasing student enrollment in college courses while in high school
- Increasing college and career exploration for all students through college visits and other meaningful college experiences
- Increasing college partnerships to enhance the development of college level academic skills
- Expanding the development of College and Career Readiness Plans so that each school has a roadmap for creating and sustaining a college-going culture
Other initiatives that the district is pursuing in support of these goals include:
- Instituting October as College and Career Awareness Month, which began in 2012 and will recur every October.
- The Hartford Promise: a scholarship program which will be offered to all eligible Hartford students, beginning in 2016, who maintain certain requirments.
Links of Interest
Fair Opportunity Project’s College Application Guide, a free resource being sent to every public school in the US. A team of 20+ college students, 10 advisors, and 200 high school counselors from across the nation wrote a free college admissions and financial aid guide that has been reviewed and praised by many of the nation’s leading college admissions committees. Click here to download.
For more information, please contact Sonia Dinnall, Executive Director, College & Career Readiness.