- Magnet Schools have a specialized theme and approach to courses, classwork, and/or teaching such as STEM, Montessori, Performing Arts and Early College Experience (ECE).
- Magnet Schools have their own application process and is administered by the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) in conjunction with Hartford Public Schools, and is open to students from the Greater Hartford region
- If you are interested in this option, search for school options.
- Eligible applicants: Hartford and Suburban Residents
- District schools are available to families living in the same school zone as where they live
- Hartford has four school zones; if you are unsure what zone you live in, please review the transportation page
- Parents should note that choosing an out-of-zone school may affect availability of school transportation
- If your child will be in Prekindergarten, Kindergarten or 9th grade then you MUST apply
- Eligible applicants: Hartford Residents
- Open Choice offers Hartford students the opportunity to attend public schools in suburban districts in the Greater Hartford area like Farmington, West Hartford and Enfield
- Open Choice also offers non-Hartford students the opportunity to attend school in one of Hartford’s themed non-magnet public schools
- This program has its own application process and administered by the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) in conjunction with the Capital Region Education Council. Search for open choice options.
- Eligible Applicants: Hartford and Suburban Residents
- Charter Schools allow families to choose from independently-designed and operated schools that follow their own state-approved charter
- Charter schools may be operated by organizations that operate schools in other cities or states. Each charter school may have its own admission process; however all are tuition-free and have open enrollment
- This program is administered in conjunction with Hartford Public Schools. Search for charter school options.