Achievement First Hartford Academy Elementary opened as part of Superintendent Steven Adamowski's ambitious reform plan for Hartford Public Schools. At Achievement First Hartford Academy Elementary, a tremendous focus is placed on reading, which occupies three hours of instruction per day broken into alternating blocks of small group instruction. Teachers and students start the day with Morning Motivation, which includes recognition of exemplary REACH (Respect, Enthusiasm, Achievement, Citizenship and Hard Work) and a school-wide song to put all students on track to have a successful day of learning. At Achievement First Hartford Academy Elementary, teachers do not just preach constant learning—they practice it. Every teacher has a coach who they meet with on a weekly basis to identify strengths and develop strategies for improvement.
Special Features and Highlights
• Rigorous college preparatory curriculum
• Extended periods for Math and English
• Strong service learning component
• Emphasis on leadership and excellence
• Active parent involvement as required by the School Contract
• Recognized in the Hartford Courant, the Connecticut Post and Connecticut Magazine
• NewSchools Venture Fund grant recipient
• Yale School of Management case study
• Aspen Institute Education & Society program
School uniform is cardinal red polo with AF insignia, khaki pants or skirt, and black or white sneakers.