Burr Middle School is committed to developing a well-rounded educational experience, tailored to the middle school student. As such, we work collaboratively with all school stakeholders to provide a safe, healthy, and positive learning environment. As Burr Middle School Eagles, “We S.O.A.R.” to success. Our CORE Values are Safety, Ownership, Achievement, and Respect. We aim to educate all aspects of our students through the whole child approach, with a focus on academic achievement and social and emotional development.
We believe all students can learn; all students can achieve; and all students can succeed. We believe in our beautiful and capable children. We are proud to be a part of this community, and to be a part of your children’s lives.
Special Features & Highlights
We aim to educate all aspects of our students through the whole child approach, with a focus on academic achievement and social and emotional development.
- Our school community utilizes a Growth Mindset and a commitment to Continuous Improvement to further our personal, professional, and academic progress.
- As a community school, we are committed to developing long-lasting relationships with our families and community partners.
- Our students aspire to be scholars and meet the challenges of becoming life-long learners.
- We are proud of the developed partnerships with various organizations including lead agency The Village for Families and Children.
ACCOLADES We are a community school with a host of opportunities, partnerships and built-in supports to give students all the tools they need to learn and grow.
CURRICULUM We offer a well-rounded educational experience, tailored to the middle school student. In addition to core academic classes (Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies), we offer middle school students an opportunity to begin learning Spanish as a World Language, as well as a growing selection of Unified Arts Courses.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Sports programs: basketball, volleyball, soccer, and track; After-school clubs: robotics and Music Matters; Spirit Days; PTO and School Governance.
TECHNOLOGY Burr Middle School is committed to providing students with a 21st Century educational experience, with a 1:1 ratio Chromebooks to students, interactive white boards in classrooms, and a growing Technology Education pipeline.
Did You Know?
- OUR PARTNERSHIPS include The Village for Families and Children, Charter Oak, Hartford Foundation, United Way, Jewish Coalition, Travelers, Junior Achievement, and Hartford Performs.
- We promote a POSITIVE CULTURE AND CLIMATE through teaching our core values, using restorative practices to solve conflicts, and providing opportunities for student leadership.
- Burr Middle School is committed to the betterment of our beautiful and capable children through the development of the WHOLE CHILD. Our students receive a comprehensive approach to both social and emotional learning and academic achievement.
Extended Day Program: Alfred E. Burr School is a Community School. The Village for Families and Children is the Lead Agency for our extended day programming. The programming time is Monday through Friday for grades 1 – 8, 2:55 pm – 5:45 pm.
School uniforms are required and will be discussed with parents at registration.
Uniforms are red polo shirts and khaki material pants, skirts or jumpers.