Betances STEM Magnet School
Betances STEM Magnet School is an innovative learning community that incorporates learning with an advanced academic focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Students are engaged in hands-on, experiential learning, observation and analysis, which is the core strategy of STEM inquiry. Partnerships with community organizations such as the Connecticut Science Center, Barnes and Noble, UCONN Health, and Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sisters provide our school community with learning opportunities and professional development.
Special Features & Highlights
- Betances STEM Magnet School’s purpose is to offer and expose our students to 21st Century skills that will ensure their value to society. Students will learn and contribute to learning within a Safe, Positive, Respectful, and Ready to Learn environment.
- We focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math with STEM Plus programs that let your children acquire stronger skills in content areas of their choosing.
- Our Engineering classes offer students the opportunity to design and construct models in cooperative groups.
- Students have extensive laboratory experiences using contemporary technologies for scientific inquiry, mathematical calculation and engineering design.
- Pathway preference is given to rising 9th graders applying to Pathways Academy of Technology & Design who select it as their first choice.
ACCOLADES The 2013 Hartford Teacher of the Year was BSTEM Engineering teacher Mario Marrero, who continues to play an important role in the integration of technology in the classroom. All BSTEM teachers are trained in Inquiry-Based Learning by the Connecticut Science Center. In addition, all teachers are certified as Level 1 Google Educators and integrate technology into their daily instruction. CURRICULUM The inclusion of STEM into the traditional curriculum serves as an incentive for students to move from “learning to read” to “reading to learn.”
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Clubs and activities include Dungeons and Dragons, and the sports offered include track, flag football, soccer and basketball.
TECHNOLOGY Technology offers students access to current and developing information, tools for visualizing and modeling, data collection/analysis, and emerging communication of ideas.
Did You Know?
- Betances STEM has several FLIGHT SIMULATORS in which students artificially recreate an aircraft’s flight and the environment in which it flies for pilot training, design, and other purposes.
- Partnership with the CONNECTICUT SCIENCE CENTER that trains our excellent staff with the newest and most interesting STEM-focused topics provides experiential learning opportunities.
- We are proud to partner with UCONN Health in their GREAT EXPLORATIONS PROGRAM, which is a science enrichment program engaging middle school students in hands-on science activities and college exploration.
Early Birds Tutoring Program from 7:30 am - 8:30 am.
Available through the South End Boys & Girls Club.
Fifth (5) and Sixth (6) grade- khaki pants and black polo. Patches are available to purchase at the school. Seventh (7) and Eighth (8) grade- khaki pants and blue polo. Patches are available to purchase at the school.