Breakthrough Magnet School South’s unique theme is Character Education. The B.R.I.C.K. character curriculum supports students to change “Breakdowns to Breakthroughs,” and to take responsibility for their own happiness while being mindful. As a result, students are independent and responsible, and demonstrate strong self-esteem and leadership skills. Students learn the importance of integrity and have opportunities to engage in service to others, in our school, at home, in the community and beyond.
Building academic knowledge through our rigorous, standards-based curriculum, as well as communication and social skills, is central to this special approach. Rich exposure to visual, musical and dramatic arts, physical health and physical literacy, Spanish starting in kindergarten, and enrichment programs completes this education of the “whole child.”
It all takes place in a state-of-the-art building that was designed and built for our character theme. Our school sits on seven acres of land and is located in a safe neighborhood on the West Hartford line. We have an outdoor amphitheater, a green roof for gardening, and spacious classrooms with full kitchens.
Special Features & Highlights
- Breakthrough Magnet School South was named the nation’s #1 Magnet School for 2015 by Magnet Schools of America.
- We offer a unique, award-winning Character Education theme, and an interdisciplinary curriculum celebrating the rich international and ethnic diversity of the student body.
- Breakthrough Magnet School South’s exemplary school climate has a focus on Social Emotional Learning, Mindfulness, and Restorative Practices and Approaches.
- Our Pre-K is NAEYC accredited and tuition-free, and our Pre-K4 is a full-day program.
- Our school provides individualized, caring, focused attention toward all students.
ACCOLADES Recognized by Magnet Schools of America as a School of Excellence for 11 years, based on academics, diversity, and innovation.
CURRICULUM Rigorous, hands-on interdisciplinary curriculum with a strong focus on active participation with perseverance and having a growth mindset.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Enrichment Programs, Community Service, STEM, K-8 Student Council, Mindfulness, Hartford Performs, Gardening/Cooking, Middle School Sports and Cheerleading, Band and Chorus, Running Club, Robotics, Coding, and School-Based Middle School Advocacy Team.
TECHNOLOGY BMSS has iPads for PreK, Chromebooks for both elementary and middle school students, and a new STEM Lab with 3D printers. Every elementary classroom also has a working kitchen.
Did You Know?
- We have a school-wide MINDFULNESS PROGRAM, including a Mindfulness Leadership program for middle school, and Restorative Practices & Approaches.
- Our unique CHARACTER EDUCATION THEME permeates everything we do at Breakthrough South and builds future leaders.
- We are a global school that celebrates our students’ diversity, background, and cultures.