Burns Latino Studies Academy is a community school providing academic, enrichment activities and community services to students and families in the neighborhood. Community Summer Garden – Students enrolled in summer school have the unique opportunity of experiencing the exciting process of growing their own food.
Latino Studies Theme – Latino Culture Course, themed contests between classes, Hispanic Heritage Essay Contest. Hartford Performs Partnership – On-site visiting artists and offsite field trips to local arts venues such as The Bushnell and Hartford Stage. Restorative Practices – Students start every day in a community circle.
Special Features & Highlights
- We are a Community School that embraces the whole child and fosters a child-centered environment.
- Our students have the opportunity to participate in after-school programming, provided by Village for Children and Families, which offer a variety of enriching activities.
- We are proud of the developed partnerships with Billings Forge, City of Hartford Parks & Recreation, The Village for Families & Children.
- Village for Children and Families is our lead agency in providing after school programming, homework club, enrichment, dinner service and parent workshops.
ACCOLADES Burns is proud to be a true community school with a rich, dynamic curriculum that applies learning experiences within a global context.
CURRICULUM Burns Latino Studies Academy offers a rigorous curriculum that promotes high expectations for all students.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Students have opportunities to engage in a variety of activities through the Compass Youth Collaborative and collaborating partners.
TECHNOLOGY Student education is enhanced through the use of SMART Boards, computer stations in all classrooms, laptops, language labs, three computer labs and iPads too!
Did You Know?
- COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS provide our students with wraparound services, including COMPASS and The Village for Families and Children.
- BILINGUAL CLASSROOMS and bilingual support are offered for students.
- We service our community with adult ESL and GED
COMPASS after school program, middle school sports program, after school tutoring, Saturday hikes with Inner City Outings, and other activities to come...
Pre-K - Grade 8:
• Royal blue polo shirt
• Navy blue pants (no jeans)
Bilingual classrooms, no world languages