Capital Preparatory Magnet School staff will provide an educational environment that creates opportunities for all students to realize and fulfill their social, academic, and civic responsibilities by developing skills necessary for students to become agents of social change.
Capital Preparatory Magnet School aspires to create a community of lifelong learners who will be assets to their community by working toward Social Justice.
The Capital Preparatory Magnet School is a year-round Pre-K through 12th grade school. Its College Preparatory environment is wrapped around a Social Justice theme that is integrated into the rigorous curriculum and instruction experience. Capital Prep boasts 100% college admittance for each graduating senior. Through our academic and Social Justice initiatives, Capital Prep students discover their passions and immense potential with talented and engaging teachers, and an energetic and diverse peer group. Capital Prep has previously been named one of the best schools in America by U.S. News & World Report magazine and a host of other media outlets.
Special Features & Highlights
- Capital Prep’s culture of high expectations is promoted weekly at all school events, where students in 15 grades come together to celebrate each other as one community.
- 5th grade, 8th grade and 12th grade students complete a Social Justice Project, which is a performance-based task where students will demonstrate their ability to question, research, lead, act, present and reflect, in order to confront a social injustice in their community.
- Capital Prep is a member of the National Honor Society and has a Junior National Honor Society for Students.
- Partnerships with the National Conference for Community and Justice, and Wee The People support staff and student development of essential qualities and characteristics for effective social justice leadership.
- Capital Prep hosts an annual Social Justice Conference to showcase exemplary student capstone social justice projects. Local advocacy groups provide opportunities to interact and share resources.
ACCOLADES We are a NAEYC Accredited early learning program. Awarded a Magnet Schools of America National Award of Merit. Several teachers have been finalists for Hartford’s District Wide Teacher of the Year.
CURRICULUM Capital prep is a year-round college preparatory school. Our learner expectations of Collaborators, Problem-Solvers, Research and Information Processors, Empathetic Citizens, and Pillars of Knowledge are woven throughout our PreK - 12 curriculum.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES There is a two sport requirement for grades 9 - 12, which has resulted in six state championships. Grades K - 8 are offered enrichment programs. We also have a Performing Arts partnership with Hartford Perfoms.
TECHNOLOGY All students are provided with one on one technology. STEM courses are offered for students in grades 6-8. Classrooms are equipped with technology to enhance learning.
Did You Know?
- Capital Preparatory Magnet School is a SOCIAL JUSTICE themed school.
- 100% of graduating seniors are accepted into COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES.
- Through the High School Partnership with Capital Community College, students can graduate with up to 30 COLLEGE CREDITS.
What People Are Saying
Students Say : We have a school that’s designed to send all our students to college.
Parents Say : “It’s difficult for some people to buy into the idea that one particular teacher or class or school can ultimately change the trajectory of a child’s future, but not for me. I have witnessed it in the lives of my three children. Capital Prep is so much more than a school. It’s a family of busy, creative, community-minded, caring individuals that recognize the strength in teamwork and the rewards of challenging themselves to be a little bit greater every day.”
- Jamie Tardif, parent from East Windsor
Teachers Say : “Capital Prep adds value to children’s lives every day and helps maximize their potential.”
Elementary school students wear a grey sweater vest, crested shirt, khaki pants or khaki skort
Middle school students wear a navy sweater vest, crested shirt and khakis
High school students wear blazers, a crested shirt and khakis