Classical prepares students for acceptance into competitive colleges and universities. Students participate in a rigorous liberal arts curriculum while embracing the common elements of the human experience found in other cultures.
The instructional model is based on the Paideia philosophy of education, which believes that human beings are primarily defined by their capacity and desire for learning. Students are expected to demonstrate their ability to read and comprehend literature, write persuasively, think clearly, communicate effectively and solve problems. In addition to five core subjects, students choose from electives in Theatre, Music, Visual Arts and Physical Education. Students are part of a community where they are learning not just for school, but for life.
Special Features & Highlights
- Classical offers a rigorous honors college preparatory curriculum firmly rooted in a study of the classics and liberal arts.
- Our students demonstrate a mastery of academics and participate actively in Paideia-based, coached project learning.
- Our school is proud to have a diverse community of students from over 40 surrounding towns.
- Students model good citizenship and interpersonal skills through the completion of service learning and demonstration of the school’s core values of Dignitas, Gravitas, Pietas.
- Classical boasts a high college acceptance rate, with many of our graduates attending prestigious 4-year colleges such as American University, Boston College, Quinnipiac University, Yale University and more!
- Our students practice Gravitas (Seriousness of Purpose), Dignitas (Respect for Self & Others) and Pietas (Loyalty, Dedication).
ACCOLADES At Classical our students graduate and go to four year colleges including Princeton, Smith, Yale and UConn. We have an 88% 4-year college attendance rate (those students who attend after getting in) with a 94% college perseverance rate (our alumni graduating college).
CURRICULUM Classical Magnet School offers a rigorous curriculum designed to prepare students for success at a competitive 4-year liberal arts college.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Classical students can select from a variety of sports including Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Baseball and Softball. Integrated electives include Technology, Art, Theater and Music.
TECHNOLOGY Students take classes in Graphics Arts, Video Production, Computer Science, Web Design, Coding and Robotics.
Did You Know?
- Students study LATIN, helping them excel on SATs and prepare them for careers in law and medicine.
- Adherence to the principles of the PAIDEIA PHILOSOPHY that all children deserve the same high-quality education.
- Enhancement of core study with courses in ART, MUSIC, THEATER, PE/ATHLETICS and ENRICHMENT.
What People Are Saying
Parents Say : “We feel blessed to have found such a wonderful place for our daughter.” Marty McMahon, parent of Mary Katherine McMahon, Class of 2011
Teachers Say : “Classical Magnet School brings out the best in me…” Madeline Sebastian, Class of 1992 and Classical Magnet School Counselor
Classical logo shirt and khaki skirt/pants
Latin, 6-12, ancient Greek elective