The Renzulli Academy offers high-quality and distinctive programs to identified gifted and talented youth. The Academy utilizes the Schoolwide Enrichment Model (SEM). SEM is not intended to replace or minimize existing services to high-achieving students. Rather, its purpose is to integrate these services into “a rising tide lifts all ships” approach to school improvement. SEM provides enriched learning experiences and higher standards for all children through three goals:
- Developing talents in all children;
- Providing a broad range of advanced-level enrichment experiences for all students;
- Providing follow-up advanced learning for children based on interests. SEM emphasizes engagement and the use of enjoyable and challenging learning experiences constructed around students’ interests and learning styles.
Special Features & Highlights
- At Renzulli, we believe that engagement, enthusiasm and enjoyment increase academic achievement, and we promote it at all times.
- Our school believes in developing the talents of ALL children.
- We provide a broad range of advanced-level enrichment experiences for all students.
- Renzulli provides follow-up advanced learning for children based on their interests.
- We believe that learning should be fun.
- 2019 Governor’s Reading Challenge Award Winners, National History Day Award Winners, Superintendent Greeting Card Contest Winners, Hartford Youth Art Renaissance Contest Winners
- Participation in the Northern Regional Orchestra and Band and, in the CT Children’s Choir
- We offer two magnet high school pathways for our rising 9th graders
CURRICULUM Instruction centers around the Schoolwide Enrichment Model (SEM), which includes enrichment clusters, general exploratory activities, individual and small group investigation of real problems. In addition, we offer foreign languages, field trips, in school performances, and advanced course work.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES We offer Middle School Basketball for boys and girls, Middle School Volleyball for girls. Additionally, we offer rotating after school activities such as Art Club, Chess Club, Homework Club, Improv Night, Student Council, seasonal dances and Talent Shows.
TECHNOLOGY At Renzulli, we offer one to one technology. Classrooms are equipped with SMART Boards and our library is outfitted with Kindle Fires for student use. Students also have access to video cameras, a virtual reality system, and robotic design equipment.
Did You Know?
- The mission of the Renzulli Academy is to instill in young people a lifelong desire to learn and excel by developing their intellectual aptitude, motivation, CURIOSITY AND COMMITMENT to learning
- We feature ENRICHMENT OPPORTUNITES that extend beyond the school and into the community, such as participation in State Spelling Bee, CT History Day, music performing opportunities with the Hartt School and Litchfield Jazz Camp, STEM fairs and Geography Bees.
- AWARD-WINNING BAND AND MUSIC INSTRUCTION; Recipient of the Connecticut Music Educators Association (CMEA) Outstanding Educator Award.
Grades 4-8: Khaki bottoms and navy polo shirts or Academy sweatshirt