The EL Education at Moylan School teaches students to be “Crew, Not Passengers” by building a scholastic community that values academic achievement, high-quality student work, and character. Students engage in crew lessons tied to our Compass for Learners that cultivate a mindset of “Courtesy, Craftsmanship, Resilience, and Responsibility” so that students value community responsibility and take pride in academic achievement and work.
As an EL Education-themed school, students engage in a rigorous curriculum and participate in learning expeditions, field work, and service learning. Learning is based on a project-based research approach, where critical thinking and problem-solving skills are mastered. We partner with parents to ensure the academic success of their child through Student-Led Conferences, where students have an opportunity to share and explain their learning, and set future goals with parents and teachers.
At Moylan School, we foster students’ joy of learning and passion for helping others in order to develop thinkers and leaders who have the courage to take academic risks that strengthen character and positively contribute to the community
Special Features & Highlights
- Students engage in in-depth learning “Expeditions” that integrate reading, writing, and service learning.
- Weekly CREW and Community meetings support the development of the whole child.
- Our Student-Led Conferences occur three times per year.
- Teachers receive weekly hands-on professional development focused on the EL Education model, which is infused directly into the classroom.
- Our school emphasizes teamwork, collaboration, and community service.
ACCOLADES EL Education at Moylan School is the District’s flagship EL School.
CURRICULUM Students participate in a project-based, hands-on approach to learning that encourages them to effect positive change in their community.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES We offer multiple activities after school in conjunction with our community.
TECHNOLOGY All students have 1:1 technology. Our school benefits from the addition of two new computer labs. Each of our classrooms is equipped with SMART Boards and computers, and students have access to multiple laptop and iPad carts.
Students at the EL Education at Moylan School have a direct pathway into McDonough Middle School; no application is needed for these students to access that school.
Did You Know?
- Our community partnership with HARTFORD PERFORMS allows us to integrate the arts into our curriculum.
- COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS include Trinity College, the Boys & Girls Club of Hartford, Community Farm of Simsbury, and Horizons at Westminster.
- Learning is focused around a PROJECT-BASED RESEARCH approach, where critical thinking and problem-solving skills are used and mastered.
“The structure of our school, specifically beginning every day with a Crew Meeting, allows the students to appreciate their capacity for academic and social learning and helps them realize that they belong to a larger school community. The common language of ELAMS provides students with clear expectations across grade levels and prepares them for success beyond the classroom walls.”
-Mr. Brian Morin, 3rd grade teacher and ELAMS 2012 Teacher of the Year
Tutoring, physical education/fitness activities, and various clubs. Boys and Girls Club and Trinity Dream Camp provides after school programs.
The ELAMS School Uniform consists of a black polo shirt (with or without the ELAMS school logo), Khaki pants, shorts, jumpers, skorts or skirts.
Our school uniform represents our school colors and creates a sense of belonging amongst our students.