Our Team-Based Middle School model provides students with a rigorous academic program and a comprehensive array of related-arts classes including visual arts, performing arts, dance, band, orchestra, chorus and robotics. HMTCA is proud to offer an Early College program with a focus on the Arts and Sciences, providing students with a rich selection of courses and enrichment programs in Music, Theater, Visual Arts, Dance, Computer Science, Engineering and Advanced Mathematics. Through our partnership with Trinity College, high school students participate in writing and science programs on campus, and all seniors attend class on campus during their senior year. In addition, we offer 13 AP Courses and Early College Experience Classes through UCONN. HMTCA students have stated that they value teachers who provide dynamic instruction and care, a friendly and inclusive student community, the variety of sports, music and theater programs, and having access to Trinity College.
Special Features & Highlights
- Our Early College Partnership with Trinity College allows qualified students to enroll in Trinity College courses.
- HMTCA offers small class sizes (10:1 certified teacher ratio) and a learning environment that demands rigorous, high-quality work while meeting the needs of individual learners.
- Our extended block schedule offers 84-minute classes. Our “TrinPrep” program provides opportunities for students to engage in enrichment and club activities, as well as access to support and extra help sessions.
- After-School Programs include Sports, Clubs, Theater, Music, and an Academic Support Program.
- HMTCA students enjoy a 56,000-square-foot state-of-the-art high school facility boasting a spacious fitness center equipped with cardio and weight machines. Our performing and visual arts students enjoy cutting-edge dance, music, and art studios, and an intimate contemporary theater space that seats 200.
ACCOLADES HMTCA has been recognized by Magnet Schools of America as a School of Excellence as well as the Number One Magnet School in America.
CURRICULUM HMTCA provides our students with a rigorous core curriculum and unique offerings that include Forensics, Beekeeping, Marine Science, and Botany. Additional course offerings include Mandarin, Virtual High School and Lifeguard Training.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES We are part of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) High School Athletics and Middle School Competitive Sports Program. Offering Soccer, X-Country, Volleyball, Football, Swimming, Softball, Baseball, Basketball, Tennis, and Cheer. Activities include Model UN and Mock Trial.
TECHNOLOGY HMTCA’s state-of-the-art technology supports 21st century learning outcomes. Offerings include Engineering, Graphics, Mobile Apps, Computer Science, Automation and Robotics, Music Technology, and Video Production.
Did You Know?
- COLLEGE CREDIT is offered through Trinity College, UCONN ECE, Capital Community College, and Advanced Placement courses.
- Our exceptional PERFORMING ARTS PROGRAM includes Pep Band, Orchestra, Chorus, Jazz Band, Theater and Dance.
- HMTCA’s VISUAL ARTS PROGRAM includes Graphics, Sculpture, Pottery, Screen Printing, Painting, and Drawing.
- Our students have been accepted at over 200 COLLEGES including Yale, Williams, Trinity and West Point.
What People Are Saying
Students Say : “I wish there was another school like this, because what we experience in school is the way I want everyone else to experience it. Not everyone has that opportunity.”
Parents Say : “Sending my daughter to HMTCA is one of the best decisions I ever made. There was no question that the bar is raised higher here.”
Teachers Say : “What makes HMTCA different and special is that I really feel that we are Martin Luther King’s dream come true. We have kids from all different racial, cultural, economic backgrounds; they blend and we form a culture. When kids walk in to our building, they have hope, and when they leave, they have pride.”
COMPASS Youth Collaborative
Middle School: White, gold or navy polo shirt with the HMTCA logo, khaki or navy pants
High School: Blue or yellow oxford shirt with the HMTCA logo, khaki or navy pants
Spanish, 6-12, Mandarin (level 1, new)