• Rigorous, college-preparatory liberal arts coursework including courses for college credit beginning in 11th grade
• Regular enrichment activities focus on careers in law, government, and criminal justice, public safety, community justice
• Frequent college field trips and college-focus across all grade levels
• Strong focus on applied critical thinking and problem-solving, collaboration and leadership
• Authentic classroom activities focused on law, justice, community leadership and social change
• Five-Week Summer Law Institute program for rising sophomores
• Paid internships in City and State government offices for juniors and seniors
“Our teachers see things in us that we haven’t even seen in ourselves yet... they challenge us to develop our talents and passions.”
-Josephine, 12th grade student“In our classes and in our other activities, we learn how to make the world a better place.”
- Winifer, 11th grade student
Parents Say : "The teachers at the Law & Government Academy help our daughter to exercise her passion to succeed by developing the tools to be successful in school, college and in her future career." – Mr. Samuel Vega, Parent of Guibeth, 11th grader
Teachers Say :
“I’ve been a teacher at HPHS for 18 years. The Law and Government Academy is the gold standard. Excellence is not an expectation, it’s a requirement.” – Mr. Harry Bellucci, Physical Education Teacher“LGA staff is committed to empowering our students and working together as a community to inspire and learn from one another.” – Ms. Giana Gleeson, World Languages Teacher
High Hopes After School Program featuring academically enriching activities including book club, mural painting, theater performance, mock trial, Model U.N., Debate Team, hip hop poetry, music composition & recording, girls’ group and other fun and educational activities.
L&GA students always wear black dress pants, black dress shoes and a white, button-down oxford shirt with L&GA logo on the left breast. Boys must tuck in their shirts and wear the Academy tie. Students may wear Academy sweater, cardigan or fleece on cooler days. On Fridays, L&GA students may wear the Academy Polo shirt, in either black or white.