Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School is a learner-centered restorative school built on a commitment to high expectations, positive relationships, and collaboration for ALL students and adults.
We are a social justice-themed middle school located in the heart of Hartford’s Blue Hills neighborhood celebrating the diversity of our students and families; fostering the belief that all stakeholders can learn from each other
At Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School, we strive for all students to embody the "DREAM" expectations as part of our school-wide positive behavior model (PBIS).MLK DREAMERS are:DeterminedRespectfulEmpoweredAccountableMotivated
Additionally, at MLK Middle School, restorative approaches and practices are used to build school community and individual character and to repair harm, resolve conflict, and invoke empathy in order to establish a safe and welcoming school culture and climate.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School students have opportunities to engage in the following activities:
- Rigorous, culturally relevant academic instruction aligned to Common Core State Standards
- Student Government/Council
- Student Ambassador Program
- Community Partnerships (Girls for Technology, Young Manufactures Academy, Junior Achievement, Legacy Foundation, The Village, ConnectiKids, Compass)
- Hartford Middle School Athletic League (MLK Tigers!)
After school programming at MLK Middle is coordinated by community partners. Information is available at the school location.
Khaki pants, skirts, or jumpers, white Oxford collared shirts/Polo shirts (logo optional), and green tie (optional), MLK Middle School fleece jacket (optional)