McDonough Middle School
McDonough Middle School has over 370 students with grade-level teaming, thus creating smaller communities of learners within a traditional middle school. Spanish, Art and PE support our core curricula of Math, Social Studies, Science and ELA. Athletics, Language, and our Community School Model are what sets McDonough apart in fostering excellence within our school community.
At McDonough, we practice student-centered learning and interdisciplinary learning experiences where students conduct authentic field research and present their work in meaningful ways.
We are a fully functioning community school with an extensive partnership with Catholic Charities which provides clinical support during the school day and after-school programming to support our students.
McDonough Middle School has a pathway for students attending Burns School, Parkville, Sanchez and ELAMS. These students do not need to apply to attend McDonough. All other students can access McDonough through the Hartford District Choice application.
Special Features & Highlights
- Our Newcomer Center welcomes English Learners.
- We have a community school partnership with Catholic Charities for after-school programming.
- We are a neighborhood school supporting our beautiful and capable students through embedded social emotional learning, restorative practices, and PBIS to meet the needs of the whole child.
- We employ a gradual release model of instruction to support students in becoming self-directed learners.
- Our student-centered, culturally responsive core curriculum is differentiated to meet the needs of ALL students.
ACCOLADES Our Newcomer Center supports our English Learners in all academic areas, and provides wrap around supports, to realize their goals of becoming bilingual and biliterate in a positive and nurturing environment. Our partnership with Catholic Charities provides in house support for students and exciting after school programming such as: DJ classes, Cooking, Art and more! Academic enrichment is also provided. Our school was awarded a grant to provide Art Kits to all students. Our beautiful and capable Students are creating installations and murals to adorn our building with their own creations! CURRICULUM Common Core Standards aligned curriculum with an emphasis on culturally responsive pedagogy.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Catholic Charities C.H.I.L.L. Spot After School Program, Student government, Community Service Programs, Athletic Program offerings and clubs.
TECHNOLOGY One to one devices allow students to explore academic content leveraging the strength of our digital natives. Lego Robotics lab allows students to explore the digital world in a hands-on approach. Every classroom is equipped with an Apple TV.
Did You Know?
- LANGUAGES ARE VALUED at McDonough! Our students speak multiple languages, and we have many staff members who are bilingual in several languages.
- We recognize the positives in our students at monthly RECOGNITION ASSEMBLIES.
- We continue to have COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS with organizations such as Catholic Charities to provide after-school enrichment programs for students daily
Students Say : “McDonough has changed my attitude about school.The teachers are new and different from any teachers I’ve ever had before.”
Parents Say : “My child has attended this school since Pre-K. I’ve always felt a sense of security and genuine concern towards all students. McDonough’s transition to middle school was easy for us. I feel there is great communication between administration, teachers, and myself.”
Teachers Say : “McDonough offer students an opportunity for hands on learning that is active, challenging and meaningful, Teachers receive weekly professional development in Expeditionary Model to enhance student learning and expeditions.”
Solid black, red or white polo shirts and khaki or black dress pants