Kinsella Magnet School of Performing Arts is focused on matching each individual student’s progress, assessment and achievement with high academic expectations.
The philosophy of the school integrates the core elements of education: Reading, Writing, Math and Science, with exposure to various cultures and arts. That integration allows each child to develop knowledge socially, linguistically and cognitively through a broad variety of hands-on experiences. Students have the opportunity to play a musical instrument, create through stagecraft, and experiment with drama, dance and movement. This process fosters student problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, encouraging individual learning so that students are able to arrive at conclusions independently. Our theme is integrated daily through cultural exposure and comprehensive training programs to foster the artistic, independent and critical thinking of our students through performing arts-integrated instruction.
Kinsella’s grades 9-12 are now located in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility on Granby Street in Hartford, which features ultra-modern dance studios, a Black Box Theater, music rooms, and more. Our high school students now enjoy the benefits of this new building which enhances our theme development, extends college and career opportunities, and provides extensive community partnerships.
Special Features & Highlights
- The Prekindergarten to Grade 12 Continuum ensures that all students transition from each grade smoothly and effectively.
- Students are engaged at an emotional level with arts-integrated instruction and active learning.
- A data-driven curriculum is employed in Language Arts, Math and Science to address each student’s specific needs.
- College-bound preparatory pathway and resources guarantee post-secondary success.
- Teachers participate in state-of-the-art professional development programs to equip them to teach 21st century skills.
- Magnet School of Excellence 2016, 2014, 2011
- Magnet School of Distinction 2013, 2012, 2010
- Region One Teacher of the Year 2011
- Arts Integration/Innovation 2015
CURRICULUM Students participate in English/Language Arts, Social Studies, Math, Dance, Drama, Musical Theater, Production, Stagecraft, Vocal, and Instrumental.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Students participate in enrichment activities such as sewing, sports, dance and theater. Enrichment is offered both during the day and after school.
TECHNOLOGY Students utilize MacBooks, SMART Boards, iPads, and Chromebooks in order to access content and demonstrate an understanding of the curriculum.
Did You Know?
- COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS with Hartford Stage, The Bushnell, Hartford Performs, TheaterWorks, Hartford Symphony and Real Art Ways.
- Kinsella is dedicated to preparing students for post-secondary endeavors with a focus on HIGHER EDUCATION.
- OVER 100 SHOWS are produced annually in the areas of dance, drama, instrumental, musical theater, and vocal.
What People Are Saying
Students Say : "I love the teachers and the support they give us. The academics are challenging, but rewarding and help us towards our future. I also love the performing arts because I love to express myself!"
Parents Say : "KMSPA is an absolutely fabulous, family environment where our children follow a rigorous academic schedule while enjoying full exposure to the arts. Our children are not only loved and respected, but learn to love and respect their peers."
Teachers Say : "We love having the opportunity to incorporate the arts in the classroom with our instruction. Our students are incredibly talented both artistically and academically, and we have the utmost respect for the families and school community in which we work."
Boys: Navy Blue Collar Shirt/Khaki Pants: NO SHORTS
Girls: Navy Blue Collar Shirt/Khaki pants/Khaki Skirts to Knees: NO CAPRIS. NO SHORTS