Betances Learning Lab is an innovative learning community fostering scholarship and creativity in students with different learning styles. We prepare and inspire students to be innovative, responsible and contributing members of an ever-changing global society.
Our achievement is determined across a broad range of educational goals, which include: National, State and Professional Standards Individual and Group Academic Performance Individual and Group Accomplishments Individual and Group Growth.
We are committed to involving all community Partners in creating an inclusive, inviting learning community characterized by kindness and respect, and developing interventions to support academic and personal excellence for every student.
We will achieve our vision by implementing research based, best practices in education. We promote differentiated instruction through multi-age grouping. Furthermore, we emphasize curriculum integration and collaboration with specialists to support learning in all areas, and support an inclusive special education and gifted and talented delivery system.
Special Features & Highlights
- Hands-on STEM-based learning through Project Lead the Way and a partnership with the Science Center.
- Student-centered learning in small classes with individualized instruction.
- WIN block for additional student supports at/above and below grade level in Math and Literacy.
- Full band, chorus, bucket drumming, and dance and drill teams.
- Enrichment block for student choice around areas of study that interest them.
ACCOLADES PBIS National Honor School, Read to a Child Honor School, SBAC article around improved achievement in the Hartford Courant, 3 segments on WTNH.
CURRICULUM Guided Reading, Readers Workshop, Writing Workshop, Project Lead the Way, Eureka Math, Worlds of Wonder for PreK 3.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Girl Scouts and HPL Book Club.
TECHNOLOGY iPads and/or Chromebooks for each student, Computer Lab, and EnoBoards in each classroom.
Did You Know?
- This school will employ outstanding practices in instruction while also serving as a professional development center for elementary school teachers who want to further develop their skills in early literacy instruction.
- COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS including Hartford Public Library, Connecticut Science Center and The Bushnell provide rich exposure to Learning Lab Students.
- ARTS INTEGRATION through Hartford Performs, Little Kids Rock, Chorus, D.R.U.M.S. and Band is part of our unified Arts Curriculum.
2:45 pm – 6:00 pm
Khaki pants, navy blue shirts, navy blue sweater
Our uniform policy lets students focus on education. It also encourages them to dress in appropriate college-ready attire.