S.A.N.D. School is an environment for active learners, where everyone is expected to work collaboratively, accepting both collective responsibility and accountability. As citizens of the S.A.N.D. community, we will also collaborate with parent and community organizations to develop and implement programs to address the whole child in order for them to transform their world. S.A.N.D School works with various partnerships in and outside of the school grounds. The Village provides several after-school opportunities where students can continue their academic and social growth. S.A.N.D. School seeks all community opportunities and celebrates various cultures and backgrounds throughout our work with passion and LOVE.
S.A.N.D. School has strong Reading and Math programs where students engage in learning via small groups. Enrichment opportunities are also available, including Drumline, Intramural Sports, and STEAM. We are proud that our Morning and Closing Circles allow us to Build Community.
Special Features & Highlights
- S.A.N.D. School is a Positive Behavior Intervention Supports (PBIS) school where the focus is student-centered for success.
- Building community is important to ensure that all students are empowered with the necessary tools to be successful citizens. We partner with The Village for Families & Children, the Hartford Public Library, and and over 50 other local organizations and partnerships.
- We are a Restorative Approaches and Practices (RAP) school.
- High communication via ParentSquare and Class DoJo, with 90% of parents signed up.
- Unified Arts include Physical Education, Music, and STEAM with 20-day cycles for all students.
- The 2019 Hartford Public Schools Teacher of the Year was S.A.N.D. fourth grade teacher Mr. Narciso Moquette.
- The 2021 Hartford Public Schools Teacher of the Year was S.A.N.D. Resource teacher Ms. Victoria Shears.
- S.A.N.D. has been nominated for a PBIS Model School Award by the state in 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- S.A.N.D. has a 92% teacher retention rate.
CURRICULUM S.A.N.D follows the District Curriculum for Grades PreK4-Grade 5.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Intramural Basketball and STEAM Club
TECHNOLOGY SMART Boards in all classrooms, two computer labs, and STEAM classes. All students are provided with their own device.
Did You Know?
- Our UNIFIED ARTS include Physical Education, Music, and STEAM with 20-day cycles for all students.
- We are a CATCH SCHOOL (Coordinated Approach To Child Health) focusing on health and nutrition.
- We support the WHOLE STUDENT APPROACH.
After school programs will be shared with parents during orientation.
Schools uniform are required; navy blue shirt with khaki pants.