Thirman L. Milner Middle School serves students in grades 6-8 with a focus on preparing them with the competencies and skills to succeed in high school, college and beyond. Milner staff is dedicated to fostering a community of amazing scholars who are willing to take risks and push themselves to grow academically. Through the strategy of close reading, Milner students are learning how to grow as readers and improve their literacy skills across the content areas.
Milner students work to demonstrate PRIDE every day. This acronym is our mantra and reflects our PBIS expectations of Positivity, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence. Students who demonstrate PRIDE are recognized in a variety of ways within the classroom and school wide.
Milner is a community school that offers a variety of supports for students and families to allow students to thrive academically and socially. Our after-school program provides enrichment opportunities for students in sports, music, arts and more.
Special Features & Highlights
- Our curriculum includes relevant and rigorous grade-level content.
- We partner with Catholic Charities to provide after-school enrichment programs including sports.
- We have weekly celebrations of Attendance and Spirit Days.
- We have regular PBIS recognition and PRIDE celebration.
- We provide weekly and monthly field excursions and enrichment offerings including Flex Friday.
ACCOLADES Daily Advisory Period, Flex Friday enrichment offerings, Performing Arts opportunities, Service Learning opportunities, and Project Oceanology.
CURRICULUM Rigorous and engaging curriculum paired with classroom instruction that is aligned to national and state standards.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Volleyball, soccer, basketball, flag football, track, cooking, robotics club, instruments, art club, and many more!
TECHNOLOGY Milner offers STEM learning opportunities in our LEGO Robotics Lab where students engage in hands-on learning. One-to-one ratio on computers.
Did You Know?
- We are a COMMUNITY SCHOOL that offers wraparound services in support of students’ academic and social-emotional needs.
- We have www.hartfordschools.org/enroll PARTNERSHIPS WITH COMMUNITY AGENCIES including The Village, Cigna, Food Corps and the Department of Public Works to provide a variety of enrichment opportunities for students.
- We offer BILINGUAL INSTRUCTION and support in our New Arrivals Center.
What People Are Saying
Students Say : "I am excited about the changes at the school. I want people to say good things about my school, and I want people to know that we are smart."
Parents Say : "I have been with Milner since my older daughter attended. She is 23 now. I know that with Milner School, the expectations are being raised for children. As a parent, I'm trying to do my best and I want to help the school do well."
Teachers Say : "I believe in the students at Milner and want to see them achieve great things. As a product of the neighborhood, I came back to give the students what they need in a way that will help them see the world beyond their neighborhood and remind them how important it is to give right back to that same place."
Provided by Catholic Charities
Provided by Catholic Charities
The uniform for Milner Middle School includes a navy blue polo shirt or white button-down shirt, and navy blue or khaki pants/skirts/skorts. The uniform is designed to encourage students to recognize that how they present themselves to society will influence how they are perceived.