Hartford Public Schools is part of an all-choice system of schools so you are able to select from a wide variety of school options, models and themes that best fit the interest and learning style of your child.
The most important thing to understand about school choice in Hartford is that all the participating schools are tuition free public schools with open enrollment.
We offer several types of school options for families:
As a parent, you know your child best. This process is about using that knowledge to select a learning environment that is the best fit for your children and their future.
You can start by taking a few moments to think and talk with your child about:
- What does your child like?
- What makes your child unique?
- What motivates your child to explore and learn?
- What other factors are most important to you (e.g. school’s distance from home, afterschool clubs and sports)?
Use these helpful tips to guide you as you go through the school selection process:
There are two separate lottery applications for families applying to Hartford District Schools and RSCO Magnet/Open Choice schools. The deadline to submit an on-time application for the Hartford District Choice Lottery and RSCO Magnet/Open Choice Schools has passed for the 2018-2019 School Year.
- Applications to our District (non-magnet) schools are open to Hartford residents only.
- The on-time application for Hartford Residents for the 2018-2019 School Year has passed.
- Hartford residents should complete both the online Hartford District Choice application and the Regional School Choice Lottery application to maximize their options
MAGNET & OPEN CHOICE SCHOOLS
- Applications to RSCO Magnet and Open Choice schools are open to Hartford and Suburban residents using the Regional School Choice Office application
- The on-time application period for the 2018-2019 School Year open has passed.