Information on Disaster Relief

Information on Disaster Relief

Hartford Public Schools welcomes all school-aged children displaced by recent natural disasters in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and the southern states

Frequently Asked Questions for Families in Transition:


Q: How do I register a child for school in Hartford?

A: Families can register children age three through high school in person at the Hartford Public Schools Welcome Center, located on the 1st floor at 960 Main Street, Hartford, CT between 8:00am – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.

The families’ first point of contact will be through the Hartford Public Schools Welcome Center, where an assessment of student and family needs related to physical and social-emotional health, academics, language proficiency, and housing will be completed. Information gathered through the screening will allow the Hartford Public Schools to deploy systemic resources to meet the needs of families and students as they enter our schools.

The Welcome Center will place children at a school and connect their families with school staff for further support as they the transition.


Q: What will my child need to be ready to attend school?

A: The Welcome Center of Hartford Public Schools will provide your child with school uniforms, shoes and a bookbag. Anything else your child needs will be provided by the school, including breakfast and lunch.


Q: What do I need to register a child for school?

A: If a child in your care is arriving to Hartford as a result of one of the recent natural disasters, you do not need anything in order to register them for school. You will be asked the following questions:

  • Where are you re-locating from?
  • Where is the child living?
  • Who is the adult responsible for the care of the child?


Q: Are there any supports for adults available?

A: At Hartford Public Schools, we have been preparing for your child’s arrival and want to help make your transition as easy as possible. Our community has been collecting donations to help you with things you might need. Each school has family support staff that can help connect you with resources for you and your family. Upon entry, the student’s academic and social-emotional needs will be addressed. Each school will have a team of teachers, counselors and administrators prepared to coordinate supports to students and families. Additionally, a team comprised of both district and community partners will address the family’s broader needs (language services, health, nutrition and housing supports, and counseling as needed).


Q: I am worried about the negative effect that the storm and the move is having a on my child. What should I do?

A: At Hartford Public Schools we have many different people who can talk to and work with you and your child to ensure they are getting all the support that they need. Please speak to your school principal in order to be directed to the appropriate resource.