Open EBooks App Gives Free Access to Thousands of eBooks to Children and Families with IPhone or Android SmartPhones
Open eBooks is an app containing thousands of popular and award-winning titles that are free for children from in-need households. These eBooks can be read without checkouts or holds. Children from in-need families can access these eBooks, which include some of the most popular works of the present and past, using the Open eBooks app and read as many as they like without incurring any costs.
HPS has partnered with Clever to provide access without the need for codes for our in-need students. Open the app and enter your student’s school number and date of birth as YYYYMMDD to access the eBooks.
The goal of Open eBooks is to encourage a love of reading and serve as a gateway to children reading even more often, whether in school, at libraries, or through other eBook reading apps.
The New York Public Library created the app enabling children to read eBooks on a wide variety of devices, including tablets donated as part of the President’s ConnectED initiative and on smartphones increasingly used by Americans at all income levels.
First Book is a nonprofit social enterprise that provides access to millions of brand new, high quality print books and other educational resources to classrooms and programs serving children in need. First Book is providing full access to Open eBooks to every educator in its Network, and will distribute access codes for Open eBooks to educators serving children in need at fbmarketplace.org/openebooks.
DPLA is engaging its network of librarians and cultural heritage institutions to provide outreach about the program and helping to coordinate books for inclusion. The DPLA Curation Corps apply their knowledge and professional skills to shape a compelling collection that is diverse, exciting, and age-appropriate so that every child has a book to read and enjoy.
- Bloomsbury: Providing unlimited access to over 1,000 of its most popular titles.
- Candlewick: Providing unlimited access to all relevant children’s and young-adult eBook titles in their catalog.
- Cricket Media: Offering full digital access to all of its market-leading magazines for children and young adults, including Ladybug and Cricket.
- Hachette: Offering access to a robust catalog of their popular and award-winning titles.
- HarperCollins: Providing a vast selection of their award-winning and popular titles.
- Lee & Low: Providing unlimited access to over 700 titles from this leading independent publisher of multicultural books.
- Macmillan: Providing unlimited access to all of the K-12 age-appropriate titles in their catalog of approximately 2,500 books.
- National Geographic: Providing unlimited access to all of their age-appropriate content.
- Open Road: Providing unlimited access to their age-appropriate ebook titles.
- Penguin Random House: Committing to provide an extensive offering of their popular and award-winning books.
- Simon & Schuster: Providing access to their entire e-catalog of books for children ages 4-14, comprised of 3,000 titles.
Clever is a secure educational login platform currently used in almost half of all U.S. K-12 schools. Their support allows Title I school-wide programs to access Open eBooks through the suite of Clever apps.