September 16, 2016
In this week’s newsletter teachers have a lot of free opportunities available, some you must RSVP today!! So check them out!
Just for Teachers
- Brain Pop is back as a classroom resource!
Use the same codes as last year. If you have any questions, please email Nadia at email@example.com.
- Teacher Open House Monday, September 19, from 3-6pm. Explore what the museum has to offer in Science & Social Studies.Refreshments/free parking/ raffle prizesRSVP Today, Friday, 9/16, to Thomas.firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, school name, school district and the grade or subject you teach. See attached flyer or this link for more information.https://messages.yale.edu/messages/attachments/w3_141218_Teacher_Open_House_Flyer.docx
- DATE EXTENDED until 9/18/16!!! CT Science Center Fall Fieldtrip specialTeachers book your trip to the CT Science Center by Monday, September 19th, and visit before December 31, 2016, to take advantage of this special rate of $8 per person! Click on the link. https://www.ctsciencecenter.org/education/welcome/When taking advantage of the special opportunity for 4th & 5th grade classes to visit the science center, participate in a workshop, as well as an outreach program at your school, click on this link to book your trip on the Reservation Request Worksheet, www.ctsciencecenter.org/booknow . Funds are limited so book early.
Toward the end of the form, in the section title ‘Payment Information’, select ‘Grant’ and type in Hartford Public School – Grade ‘#’.
- Science Safety WorkshopFor more info see the attached CT Science Safety Network, CSSN, document.
- Why NGSS?This 2 day workshop focus is for K-12 educators who are new to NGSS. Click on the link below for more info. https://ctsciencecenter.org/education/mandell/why-ngss-workshop/.
CREC’s Institute of Teaching and Learning invites you to take part in the following upcoming workshops:
- Invention Dimension: Maximize next generation science standards with aligned instruction time through invention. See attached flyer. Please see the document for more information and the link that follows to register for the workshops.Registration: visit www.crec.org/itl
- Pay as you wish on Community Day! September 24 form 10-5
- Martial Arts day with the Ninja Turtles October 1, from 10-5
- Sensory Friendly Day October 5, from 10-5https://ctsciencecenter.org/
In the News:
- Clink on the link for the 9 things you need to know about the NGSS for September. (The September newsletter has not been published yet.)
- Click on the link below for the Invitation to Apply: EQuIp Peer Review Panel: Science http://www.nextgenscience.org/news/peerreviewpanelApplication Process
1. Interested persons must complete this online application. (Application period is Aug. 30 – Sept. 23, 2016)
2. Applicants will receive an email containing two (2) grade-banded science lessons to review and one (1) copy of the new EQuIP Rubric for Science (Version 3) to use as they evaluate both science lessons. (Beginning on Sept. 7, 2016)
3. Applicants must submit their completed EQuIP rubric reviews for consideration. (Due no later than Sept. 23, 2016)
4. Accepted applicants will be notified of their selection as a peer reviewer. (By Oct. 21, 2016)
5. Selected peer reviewers must confirm their commitment and interest: (No later than Oct. 25, 2016)
The STEM TEAM
Dr. Sandra Inga & Ms. Andrea Greene
Enjoy the last weekend of Summer!!