November 14, 2016
In this edition, check out…
…the Just for Teachers section:
- Genomics Workshop with Jackson Labs
… the Students section:
- Registrations now open for Moody’s Mega Math Challenge
- Minecraft Education Edition released
- November 8th District STEM Professional Learning (view slides below)
- Genomics Workshop with Jackson Labs (Stipend)
What: Teaching the Genome Generation
When: June 26-29, 2017
Where: Trinity College (June 26-30, 2017)
Note: Workshop provides you with a large Mobile Lab of resources (e.g., centrifuge, Electrophoresis materials/set up, DNA sequencers, and lots of other free resources);
Limited availability – please apply now/soon, if interested & available
- Next phase of ECS (Exploring Computer Science) training/workshops, has begun. Please contact James Veseskis at HMTCA, if interested in joining us: email@example.com
CT Science Center’s “Women in Science” series: Methods and Mastery: Mathematics Instruction in the 21st Century; November 16, 2016, from 6-7:30pm:
Please join us for a lively discussion addressing some of the issues and controversy about the new approaches to Math instruction, the application of Math in an age of technology, Common Core, and the future of traditional Math.
- Moderator: Marjorie Wikler Senechal, Ph.D, Louise Wolff Kahn Professor Emerita in Mathematics and History of Science and Technology at Smith College
- Panelist: Rebecca Zook, Math Mastery Mentor and Founder of Purple Tutu Math Tutoring
- Panelist: Fabiana Cardetti, Ph.D, Graduate Director for Instructional Development, UConn Department of Mathematics
- Panelist: Gladis Kersaint, Ph.D, Dean UConn Neag School of Education
- Time: 6:00-6:30 reception & networking, 6:30-7:30 discussion
- Tickets: $10 adults, $5 students, seniors & Science Center members
Register now at https://ctsciencecenter.org/programs/wis/
Joule Fellows Summer 2017
Consider a 6 week paid summer engineering research experience focusing on sustainable energy technologies followed by an academic year of implementation.
Teachers will be working with graduate researchers and faculty. Please contact Aida Ghiaei, 860-486-6523, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the website, http://joulefellows.engr.uconn.edu/ for more information.
Moody’s Mega Math (M3) Challenge is a mathematical modeling contest for high school juniors and seniors. Through participation, students experience what it’s like to work as a team to tackle a real-world problem under time and resource constraints, akin to those faced by professional mathematicians working in industry.
Clink on the link for the 8 things you need to know about the NGSS for November.
- Minecraft: Education Edition includes all kinds of cool features that make it fun and easy for educators to create and teach lessons through Minecraft. … The complete version of Minecraft: Education Edition is now available to purchase for $5 per user, per year, or through a Microsoft education volume licensing discount.
The STEM TEAM
Dr. Sandra Inga & Ms. Andrea Greene