September 2, 2016
Hello Teachers, Assistant Principals & Deans:
Welcome back!! Hope you all had a wonderful and well rested summer break!
Welcome to the new 2016-2017 school year!
This week’s newsletter focuses on teacher workshops and professional development as well as discounts for CT Science Center fieldtrips. Don’t forget to read the latest on NGSS “In the News” section.
Just for Teachers:
CT Science Center Fall Fieldtrip special
Teachers book your trip to the CT Science Center by Wednesday, September 14th, and visit before December 31, 2016, to take advantage of this special rate of $8 per person! Click on the link. https://www.ctsciencecenter.org/education/welcome/
Special opportunity for 4th & 5th grade classes to visit the science center, participate in a workshop, as well as an outreach program at your school. Transportation NOT included. Funds are limited, so first come, first served. Contact the science center and book your trip soon.
CT Invention Convention is going regional!!
Due to the overwhelming participation of students from CT in grades K-8, the CT Invention Convention Program has grown to include Regional Contests as well as State Finals!
The Hartford County regional contest is Saturday, April 8th at Goodwin College.
The State finals are at UCONN on April 29th.
We will keep you posted as new information becomes available!
Employment opportunities at the CT Science Center
The CT Science Center Education Department is currently recruiting for several Professional Development Specialist positions. Attached are the job descriptions as well as a link.
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please email your letter of interest and current resume to my attention at HR@CTScienceCenter.org. Resumes will be accepted until September 26, 2016.
Any teachers interested in FREE Houghton Mifflin pilot of the Science Dimensions Program. They are looking for teachers willing to try out the middle school unit and high school Biology Unit.
If interested, contact:
Roger Farr, President (email@example.com)
Educational Research Institute of America
Chancellor’s Professor Emeritus Indiana University
Energy! A Cross-Cutting STEM concept
Join this teacher-led workshop, where participants perform a variety of lab activities in “student mode” to identify difficulties students may encounter. A discussion of classroom implementation will ensue after the activity. The focus of the workshop is to support educators in implementing NGSS.
When: Saturday, September 24, 2016
Where: University of Bridgeport
169 University Avenue
Dana Hall of Science, Room 023, Bridgeport
Click on the link below to register & get more information
CREC’s Institute of Teaching and Learning invites you to take part in the following upcoming workshops;
· Learn more about the CT Invention Convention! Workshops will be provided to engage teachers in activities to understand the invention process and the benefits to student learning. See attached flyer.
Please see the documents attached to this email for more information and the links to register for the workshops.
Registration: visit www.crec.org/itl
In the News:
· Clink on the link for the 9 things you need to know about the NGSS for August. (The September newsletter has not been published yet.)
- Interested persons must complete this online application. (Application period is Aug. 30 – Sept. 23, 2016)
- Applicants will receive an email containing two (2) grade-banded science lessons to review and one (1) copy of the new EQuIP Rubric for Science (Version 3) to use as they evaluate both science lessons. (Beginning on Sept. 7, 2016)
- Applicants must submit their completed EQuIP rubric reviews for consideration. (Due no later than Sept. 23, 2016)
- Accepted applicants will be notified of their selection as a peer reviewer. (By Oct. 21, 2016)
- Selected peer reviewers must confirm their commitment and interest: (No later than Oct. 25, 2016)
Please forward the STEM Newsletter to anyone who you think would benefit from this information!
The STEM TEAM
Dr. Sandra Inga & Ms. Andrea Greene
Have an awesome school year!!