Summer Reading – For All Grades
Take part in the Governor’s Reading Challenge by reading and keeping a list of all your books read. Summit it the first week of school and you may get recognized for reading the most books during the summer at a special governor’s event.
Our local Hartford Public Library has Summer Learning programs for all ages.
Here are more free reading resources:
- TD Bank Summer Reading Program – From June 1 – August 31, 2019, 10 books = $10! One your kids read 10 books have them fill out form, take it to your nearest TD Bank and TD Bank will deposit $10 into their Young Saver Account. (Note, you will need to either have or open a Young Saver Account for this program.) $10 cash! (The 2019 details have not yet been released)
- Barnes and Noble’s Summer Reading – Through August 31, 2019, have your kids read any 8 books and record them in the Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Journal (available online or in store). Once they complete the journal, they can take it back to the store to pick a free book from the list at the back of the journal. Note – this summer reading program includes TEENS and ADULTS, but only kids grades 1-6 earn a prize! FREE BOOK!
- Amazon Summer Reading Challenge – When students K-8 read any 8 books and turn in their list by September 10, 2019, they will earn a free book. It looks like you have to turn in the list to one of the Amazon retail or pop-up stores, so it appears to only be available in certain areas. Check the website for details. FREE BOOK!
- Chuck E. Cheese’s Reading Rewards Calendar – Through December 31, 2019, Chuck E. Cheese will reward kids for good behavior with its calendars. Download a Reading Rewards Calendar and your kiddo can mark off each day he/she reads. When the calendar is full, two weeks, turn it into your local Chuck E. Cheese for 10 free game tokens. Bonus, this can be done again and again. (PS – there are other reward calendars too.) 10 FREE GAME TOKENS!
- Scholastic’s Summer Read-a-Palooza – Through September 6, 2019, kids can log summer reading minutes to earn digital prizes. As part of Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza, kids and families can help get at least 200,000 books to kids in book deserts—areas with limited or no access to books. Plus reading minutes for schools around the country are tracked so you can help your school earn bragging rights. HELP DONATE BOOKS!
- Showcase Cinemas – Bring a book report (the form is downloadable from website) on Wednesdays from July 8 – July 29, kids get in for free to see selected movies on Wednesdays at 10:00 am. FREE MOVIE! (2019 information not yet available.)
- Pottery Barn Kids Summer Reading Challenge – Through August 26 PBK invites children to ‘take the challenge’ by reading 14 hand-selected books from one of two lists. Children who complete the book list and bring it to a Pottery Barn Kids location will receive a free book, and parents can enter their child into an online drawing for a backpack full of books. FREE BOOK! (2019 information not yet available.)
- Half Price Books Feed Your Brain – In June and July, kids 14 and under can earn a $5 coupon by reading at least 300 minutes a month and tracking their reading minutes on a reading calendar. Teens can participate in the teen challenge by writing a book review of a select title. Half Price Bucks! (2019 information not yet available.)
- Sylvan Book Adventure – Kids (K-8) read books (7,000 titles to choose from), and then take a short quiz to earn points. The points can then be redeemed for virtual prizes. Bonus, parents can monitor kids reading with online progress reports. Redeem points for prizes. (2019 information not yet available.
- Hartford Wolfpack’s Read to the Rink – Read to the Rink is an incentive-driven program designed to promote the importance of literacy and stimulate the interest in reading amongst kids of all ages across Connecticut. Students who successfully complete the program will be rewarded with a ticket to Opening Night on October 5, 2019!
Read, read, read this summer! Learn to read to you can read to learn!