United Way Partners with the Village for Families and Children to offer FAST, FREE Tax Preparation
It is tax season again. We do not like it but we have to do it. Want you taxes done FAST and FREE and your refund back within 7-10 days??
To support our family financial stability efforts, United Way is partnering with the Village for Families and Children to offer this service to residents of Hartford, Tolland and Windham Counties. There are sites throughout Hartford, East Hartford, Manchester, Windsor Locks, Enfield, and Willimantic. If you live closer to the New Britain area, United Way is partnering with Human Resources Agency of New Britain for the 2014 VITA campaign to support four sites in the city. Employees in MA and other CT areas can call 2-1-1 for their local sites.
These sites are conveniently open during daytime and evening hours Monday through Friday, and are also open on Saturdays. Appointments are normally an hour long. This opportunity is open to employees, their family and friends that qualify(see details below) This opportunity is open to employees, their family and friends that qualify (see details below).
Volunteer tax preparers are trained and certified by the IRS to prepare taxes. Last year, the VITA volunteers assisted nearly 9,400 taxpayers in central and northeastern Connecticut, resulting in more than $26.4 million in state and federal refunds and credits, including the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Care Credits. This opportunity is open to anyone employees, their family and friends that qualify.
1. Tax Sites:The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) sites are available to lower-to-moderate income individuals and families who earn up to$52,000 annually and helps them get ahead financially, pay down debt and work toward saving for the future.
2. Online:Individuals and families earning up to $58,000 annually can do their taxes for free online by visiting myfreetaxes.com/unitedway. Online assistance is available if necessary.
What do I do next?
· Call 2-1-1 and press 3 to see if you qualify and to schedule an appointment near you
· For appointments in New Britain call HRA directly at 860-612-3983.
· Get your refund in 7-10 days on a pre-paid debit card or through direct deposit into your bank account.
· Some sites offer budget coaching and programs to help you save for the future.
· If you qualify (up to $58,000 household income) visit myfreetaxes.com/unitedway to file your taxes free online.
Mechelle A. Tovar Olórtegui / Donor Relations Manager /United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut
30 Laurel Street / Hartford, CT 06106 / tel 860-493-6870 / fax 860-493-6859 / firstname.lastname@example.org / unitedwayinc.org
Get Involved with United Way!
Become a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Volunteer– Register Now for the 2013-2014 Season
Be a United Way Reader. Volunteer to read with a child one day a week – Starting in January
Red, White and Chocolate – January 30, 2014
Best Of Awards– February 28, 2014
Power of the Purse– June 3, 2014