Welcome to Hartford Public Schools! In partnership with our families and communities, we inspire and prepare all students to meet success in and beyond school. The Office of Enrollment and School Choice stands ready to assist you throughout enrollment process.

All children who reside in Hartford are eligible to enroll in our schools. Hartford Public Schools requires all students to be fully registered prior to school entry.  A parent or guardian must register students under the age of 18.

We are pleased to announce that registration is now simplified with our on-line PowerSchool registration system. New families to Hartford Public Schools can complete registration using the online forms.

Assistance is available by visiting or calling us at:

Office of Enrollment and School Choice

960 Main Street, 1st Floor

Hartford, CT 06103

860-695-8876 or 860-695-1500

Monday – Friday,  8:00am – 4:00pm

**Computer assistance is available**

New Student Registration

  • Are you new to Hartford with a child entering grades K-12 who needs to be enrolled in school?
  • Are you a current Hartford resident with a child turning 5 years old on or before January 1, 2020 and is ready for kindergarten?
  • If so, don’t delay. Register today!
  • For information on PreK4 school readiness registration please click here


STEP 1:  Hartford Families new to the district should visit the Office of Enrollment and School Choice at 960 Main Street, 1st floor for registration and placement. All efforts are made to place students within zone and to keep siblings together. Please note, placement in a magnet school is through the Regional School Choice Lottery (RSCO) only during the lottery period (November 1 – January 31).



Have you accepted a placement for school year 2020-2021 (Beginning August 2020)? Complete the online registration form for the upcoming school year (2020-2021) Click here: 2020-2021 Online Registration


STEP 3: Bring the following required documents to the Office of Enrollment and School Choice to finalize registration. If your child is attending a magnet school, please bring the registration documents to the school.


In order to finalize the registration, proof of guardianship, student’s age, and residency are required. Please bring the following documents to the Office of Enrollment and School Choice to finalize the registration.


  • Parent(s) of Student
    • Driver’s License or State Issued Identification
    • Birth Certificate
  • Legal Guardian(s)
    • Driver’s License of State Issued Identification
    • Court Document indicating custody or guardianship
  • State Appointed Custodian(s)
    • State Agency Issued Work Identification
    • DCF Notification Document (i.e. DCF 603 Form)


  • Child’s Birth Certificate or Passport
    • Immunization Records may be accepted if birth certificate or passport is not available


Provide 1 of the following primary documents in the name of the Parent/Guardian(s)

  • Current Mortgage Statement
  • Lease Agreement
  • Current Utility Bill (electric, gas, or water)


Provide 2 of the following secondary documents in the name of the Parent/Guardian(s)

with matching addresses:

  • Current Bill (Cable or Phone)
  • Current Pay Stub
  • Current Proof of Government Benefits

If the parent/guardian is unable to provide proof of residency due to living with family member of friend, a Certification of Residency Form must be completed and notarized by both parties.  Also a proof of residency document must be provided by the Hartford resident.

The Federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act provides special legal protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness, including homeless “unaccompanied youth” who are not in the custody of a parent or guardian. Children experiencing homelessness or displacement have a right to enroll in school even if their families cannot produce enrollment documentation. Assistance is available at the time of registration. 


Proof of grade is Not required to complete the registration.  However, if it is provided at the time of registration, school staff will have the opportunity to plan for your child’s class schedule.    

  • For Students entering KG – Grade 8
    • Latest Report Card or Progress Report
  • For Students Entering Grade 9 -12
    • Transcript or Latest Report Card