Welcome to Hartford Public Schools! In partnership with our families and communities, we inspire and prepare all students to meet success in and beyond school. The Office of Enrollment and School Choice stands ready to assist you throughout enrollment process. All children who reside in Hartford are eligible to enroll in our schools.
Hartford Public Schools requires all students to be fully registered prior to school entry. A parent or guardian must register students under the age of 18. We are pleased to announce that registration is now simplified with our online PowerSchool registration system.
REGISTER FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR – GET YOUR CHILD OFF TO A GREAT START!
Parents/guardians you are invited to visit the Office of Enrollment & School Choice located at:
330 Wethersfield Ave, 1st Floor
Hartford, CT 06114
or call our office in advance at 860-695-8876.
Our office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00am – 4:00pm.
REGISTER your child for school by completing an online registration at https://www.hartfordschools.org/choicereg22-23sy/
WHO SHOULD REGISTER?
- Are you new to Hartford with a child entering grades K-12 who needs to be enrolled in school?*
- Are you a current Hartford resident with a child turning 5 years old on or before January 1, 2023 and is ready for kindergarten?*
- Did you accept a placement offer through the HPS District Choice Lottery?*
- *Important Note: All document must be received, and parent/guardian identification must be verified in person/at our offices before the registration can be considered complete. Please visit us at 330 Wethersfield Avenue – 1st Floor from Monday- Friday between the hours of 8:00am – 4:00pm.
- Did you accept a placement offer through the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) at an HPS Magnet School or HPS Open Choice School? Important Note for HPS Magnet Placements: For any questions regarding HPS Magnet School Registrations please contact the school directly. Please see your RSCO magnet school placement letter for the phone number or, visit our school directory and search the placement school.
For information on PreK4 school readiness registration please click here.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS?
STEP 1: Hartford Families new to the district should visit the Office of Enrollment and School Choice at 330 Wethersfield Ave, 1st floor for registration and placement.
- If your child is new to the District or in a transitional grade for the 2022-2023 School Year (Pre-K 4 and Kindergarten) you must complete an online registration here.
- Please note, placement in a magnet/open choice school is through the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO). The RSCO late application for the 2022-23 school year is open through September 15, 2022. Please visit, www.choiceeducation.org to apply.
STEP 2: Visit our offices at 330 Wethersfield Avenue – 1st Floor in Hartford, CT. Bring the following required documents to the Office of Enrollment and School Choice to finalize registration. If your child is attending a magnet school, please bring the registration documents to the school.
- Proof of Guardianship
- Proof of Age
- Proof of Residency
STEP 3: Prepare for the First Day of School – Attend!
WHAT ARE THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO BE PROVIDED AT TIME OF REGISTRATION?
In order to finalize the registration, proof of guardianship, student’s age, and residency are required. Please bring the following documents to the Office of Enrollment and School Choice to finalize the registration.
PROOF OF GUARDIANSHIP
- Parent(s) of Student
- Driver’s License or State Issued Identification
- Birth Certificate
- Legal Guardian(s)
- Driver’s License of State Issued Identification
- Court Document indicating custody or guardianship
- State Appointed Custodian(s)
- State Agency Issued Work Identification
- DCF Notification Document (i.e. DCF 603 Form)
PROOF OF AGE
- Child’s Birth Certificate or Passport
- Immunization Records may be accepted if birth certificate or passport is not available
PROOF OF RESIDENCY
Provide 1 of the following primary documents in the name of the Parent/Guardian(s)
- Current Mortgage Statement
- Lease Agreement
- Current Utility Bill (electric, gas, or water)
Provide 2 of the following secondary documents in the name of the Parent/Guardian(s) with matching addresses:
- Current Bill (Cable or Phone)
- Current Pay Stub
- Current Proof of Government Benefits
If the parent/guardian is unable to provide proof of residency due to living with family member of friend, a Certification of Residency Form must be completed and notarized by both parties. Also a proof of residency document must be provided by the Hartford resident.
The Federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act provides special legal protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness, including homeless “unaccompanied youth” who are not in the custody of a parent or guardian. Children experiencing homelessness or displacement have a right to enroll in school even if their families cannot produce enrollment documentation. Assistance is available at the time of registration.
PROOF OF GRADE
Proof of grade is Not required to complete the registration. However, if it is provided at the time of registration, school staff will have the opportunity to plan for your child’s class schedule.
- For Students entering KG – Grade 8
- Latest Report Card or Progress Report
- For Students Entering Grade 9 -12
- Transcript or Latest Report Card